Thursday, September 15, 2016

Am I Mean?

Being MEAN vs. REAL

So the other day I was told that I was being mean. I totally understand why he said that, but I was just stating the truth. So now, I realized that many people have the same issue (being real is not being mean.) And now here I am writing a blog post.

First off, to prove this, we are going to look at the meanings.
mean1
mēn/
verb
1. 
intend to convey, indicate, or refer to (a particular thing or notion); signify."I don't know what you mean"
synonyms:
signify, convey, denote, designate, indicate, connote, show, express, spell out; More

re·al1
ˈrē(ə)l/
adjective
1. 
actually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed."Julius Caesar was a real person"
synonyms:
actual, nonfictional, factual, real-life; More

Now, I'm going to give some examples.
Mean: "I hate your haircut."
Honest: "Your haircut doesn't suit your face."
Mean: "Wow. Your outfit like a carnival."
Honest: "You don't match."

There's a difference. One is being plain old rude, the other is stating the facts. As you can see, there is a significant amount of difference between the two. Mean is being rude to someone. Real is stating facts. If I were trying to be mean, I would've insulted someone, and been rude. If I were trying to be realistic, I would've given facts, and stated the obvious. I never intend to be mean, unless I have to. But, sometimes, being realistic comes off as mean. When I was younger, I told my parents I wanted to be an artist. My father said, "Artists don't make good money, you would be broke." He wasn't being mean to me, he was being realistic. Now I'm hoping to begin studying Forensics, and hoping to be a photographer or detective. He saved me from doing something I would regret in the future. Being realistic isn't being mean. You sometimes need to crush someone's dreams to help them see clearly. I know that sounds bad, but it's true. Yeah, being a realist is sometimes hard. But in the end, you just saved someone from doing something they would've regret. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt my friends, but nowadays we're grown up and sometimes they need a little criticism.

Honesty is the best policy, or so they say.

Also: I will not a posting or replying as much. School is getting a little rough, so I'll be back soon. :)

8 comments:

  1. I'm always more glad to have honest friends who will tell me if I am at fault or if I did something wrong than friends who lie through their teeth to make you feel better. They aren't mean about it, meaning that they don't insult or intend on hurting me. They're just honest and sincere in that authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people really don't want the truth even when they ask for it. Most can't take it when you tell them the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to consider myself quite an honest person, and sometimes this has lost me potential friends. I don't try to be mean, and I don't think I am, but I do think that if someone is asking for your opinion you can't just tell them what they want to hear. That's pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, honesty is always the best policy. I have trouble with being honest sometimes, as I don't want to hurt other people's feelings. But, I do agree that sometimes the best thing for other people is to be honest with them.

    -Jollygirl @ -Jollygirl @ Reflections of a Jolly Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, there's no correct way to plan what you want to say. Either the truth will hurt or the lies will pile up. Life is so hard. :P

      Delete